Is Real-time Bidding a Pet Rock or Etch a Sketch?
The Pet Rock was a fad – the “it” product of 1975.
Etch a Sketch is a classic – it hasn’t gone out of favour since 1960.
Gartner’s Digital Marketing and Advertising Hype Cycle 2016 positions this year’s digital marketing and digital advertising technologies along a market adoption and maturity curve.
It attempts to foresee which Martech and Adtech technologies are a fad and which will endure as classics. Technologies that become classics mature fully to be widely used for their productivity benefits. The hype cycle also forecasts how long it may take for each to reach maturity for wide acceptance.
In programmatic advertising and Adtech technology we see a lot of birthing!
Gartner notes that real-time bidding is a transformational technology. Let’s take a look: Gartner’s Hype Cycle includes 5 stages of market adoption:
- Innovation Trigger is the first stage when new technologies are launched. This year’s Adtech examples include ad blocking, programmatic TV and programmatic direct advertising.
- Peak of Inflated Expectation is the next stage where “buzz” builds and the technology exceeds the current reality of expectations. AdTech examples include customer journey analytics, multitouch attribution and tag management.
- Trough of Disillusionment carries forward when problems with performance and adoption or failure to deliver financial expectations leads to missed expectations. Adtech examples include native advertising, data management platforms (DMPs) and real-time bidding.
- Slope of Enlightenment is the stage where early adopters overcome the initial hurdles and start to realize the benefits and further invest in the technology. Early adopters reap the benefits for competitive advantage. Digital Out-of-Home is positioned at this stage.
- Plateau of Productivity is the final maturation stage when the technology is widely accepted and adopted for its usefulness.
Gartner ‘s priority matrix notes that there is one transformational technology among all others, real-time bidding, that is less than 2 years away from reaching market maturity and moving into the Plateau of Productivity.
You can learn more by visiting Gartner’s interactive walk through of the Digital Marketing and Advertising Hype Cycle 2016.
Subscribe to the blog as we explore digital marketing and advertising technologies and what they mean for your business.